Connections of the heart

Today was our last day of ministry in Birmingham/ Erdington, and it was a sweet finale to this portion of our trip. 

Several of our ladies joined the weekly Mums group that meets at Oikos, which as it turned out was sweet LOUD chaos. There were about 20 babies and toddlers mainly below school age, and 20 moms looking for the opportunity to socialize. Claudia, Emily and I prepared a craft which was a step beyond what they typically do, and it was a great way to engage the little ones. Braelyn and Emma Grace joined us in engaging the kiddos, and we were also encouraged to chat with the moms and make them feel welcome. We had heard previously that one of the things that has impacted visitors to the church was that everyone was loved and welcomed, which was different than other experiences with religion they’d had. And one of the sweetest experiences I had was in approaching a mom sitting on her own with her little boy, in Islamic attire and wearing her hijab. It turns out she is from Afghanistan, and doesn’t speak much (any!) English. I looked up what language they speak in Afghanistan, which may be Farsi or numerous other dialects, but whatever it is, I don’t speak it. Yet we actually ended up getting along quite well—because of her little boy. We exchanged names; I didn’t catch hers, but her little boy’s was Umar and he’s 3. I pantomimed asking him how do you say eyes, nose, mommy, etc, and she translated for him and he would answer me, and we built with blocks, and I made animal noises and occasionally we’d say things to each other in our respective languages and the other would smile and nod. It’s poignant that we were able to make a connection with as many differences as we had, but ultimately being moms, being in a warm, safe environment, and understanding each other’s spirit and intent seemed good enough. I love, love, loved the encounter, and I hope and pray that she began to feel the welcome, security, and peace that we know in Christ. 


We were invited by one of the refs from yesterday’s tournament who works for the local football club, Aston Villa, to tour their stadium, and several of our group opted in. Several others stayed behind at Oikos for a little down time, and then to walk High Street passing out flyers inviting the community to attend a free meal hosted at the coffee shop tonight. 


We had tables for 80, and probably ended up with 100 or more, somehow with just the right amount of food. (By the way, did anyone out there know they had Costco in the UK?!? It was Kirklands pizza for dinner tonight!)

Tables set, room ready

I don’t know why, but there was one young lady who just drew my heart when she came to the door. She looked a little disheveled and wind blown, and had a sheepish expression on her face from the start. She approached me almost apologetically and said she’d like to come in, but she wanted a cigarette first, and she was sorry if she smelled like alcohol, but she had to admit to me, she was homeless and an addict. I told her of course, go, there are some people smoking over there, and whenever you’re ready we’ll go in together! And for whatever reason, our spirits just felt like they knew each other. When she was ready I walked in with her and stood with her in line, and got acquainted with some other people she knew. She volunteered that she was raised Catholic but isn’t into religion, that she’d gotten married young but been battered every day, and that’s how she ended up on the streets. From there drugs have just been a way of life. She is 25, she wants to get clean, and although she has been to rehab before, she couldn’t get free from her addiction, and methadone didn’t work for her. But, she mentioned that tomorrow is a big day for her, because she is starting a new medical intervention to help her get clean, an injection, and she is hopeful. I don’t know why, but from the first encounter, I was drawn to her, I shared a sloppy version of the gospel, and told her that if I don’t know her from anyone but we both have an obvious connection, if I can love her and I’m a nobody to her, I have to tell her how much more God loves her. She asked, even with me being an addict? And I hugged her and told her that he only cares about her, and for whatever reason, we crossed paths on my last night, just for me to tell her that God loved her. I said something similar to her friend who was with her, and hugged them both tight, and they both just received my warmth and love for them so openly. The girl I was so drawn to was Katie, and her friends were Richie and Lisa. For her sake, I hope the injections work for her, and I hope she realizes that God loved her even before anything she can do within her own power. He can’t love her more during recovery than he does tonight.

Katie and I

Caught Braelyn praying for us!

I’m not naive; I know that I have no idea about what the reality of this girl’s circumstances are, and I will probably never know how her story unfolds from here. But all I know for tonight is that I have love in my heart for her, and I know that God does too. I will keep praying for her as often as she comes to mind over the next weeks and months. 

And that was it. We walked out of Oikos for the last time this evening! Tomorrow morning (obscenely early) we will check out of our home for the week and take a train to London for the day before we fly home Friday. 

Debriefing and saying goodbye

This week has been exhilarating and exhausting, but as they say, it ain’t over yet! There have been bumps in the road, including arriving to our train station this evening to find it just sitting, doors open, delayed. But everything has worked out, and I ask for your prayers to accept the bumps in the road, but to get home safely and smoothly. 

GQ Clint willing and waiting for the delay to clear

If you had half a day in London, what would you do? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The first team fundraiser

Arriving

Let’s Go, Birmingham!